Monday, February 1, 2016

Thanks, Gygax Magazine


I have all six issues of the short-lived Gygax Magazine, which has stopped production due to legal issues. Those, I won't get into. You can do a quick Google search to find all kinds of nerd-rage about it. What I will do is commend the all-volunteer staff of the magazine for actually making it through six issues. A new print magazine about anything is likely to result in failure these days. With even huge companies like Wizards of the Coast and Paizo unable to keep a viable print magazine running, the fact that Gygax made it for six issues is impressive.

The magazine contained something useful (for me) in every single issue. It covered a variety of games. Unlike many unkind reviewers, who acidly suggested that every single article should cover only old-school versions of D&D, I appreciated getting glimpses into games I don't and might not ever play. It's true that there were some unfortunate production snafus from time to time - typos, missing pages - but these were usually caught and corrected, and I chalk this up not to incompetence, but to the fact that the staff were volunteers who had to spend most of their time paying bills in other ways.

The company will continue on with releases of various gaming modules, and I'll check those out if interest permits. In the meantime, I'll continue to use some of the great material in the magazine, and each of these six issues will retain a place in my collection. I'm glad I subscribed. Thanks Jason, Tim, and the rest of you for your hard work. It did not go unappreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment