Thursday, October 16, 2014

Rosie the Riveter Facts

For work, I've been doing research on Rosie the Riveter (in all her many guises). Some of the facts I found were staggering. They made 292,000 airplanes? Two hundred ninety two thousand airplanes? I knew World War II was big. I didn't know it was that big. I wonder how many warplanes and associated aircraft we have now? How much else would just one of those pay for?

At any rate, here are some interesting tidbits: 

Number of “Rosies” (estimated; there are no records): Over six million

Number of “Volunteer Rosies”: (Estimated; there are no records): at least 10 million

Examples of items produced by Rosies and the “few good men” who worked alongside them:
Airplanes: 297,000
Tanks: 102,000
Artillery pieces: 372,000
Warships: 88,000
Small arms ammunition: 44,000,000.000 (44 billion) rounds
Artillery ammunition: 47,000,000 tons
Examples of items produced from materials collected by volunteer Rosies:
An old shovel had enough iron for four hand grenades.
One pound of waste fat had enough glycerin for a pound of gun powder.
12,000 old razor blades had enough steel to make a bomb.
I've also seen what seem like countless images of the iconic Rosie the Riveter in red bandana, making a muscle and proclaiming "we can do it!" I prefer the image of Rosie by Norman Rockwell, which I've included here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment