Friday, August 2, 2013

Wax Houses, Pt. 2: Vinyl Renassiance

Now for the next installment in my quest for cool old records. This time, I stay close to home, and only venture across the state line to Vinyl Renaissance. This entry is specifically about the Overland Park, Kansas location, not the 39th Street location. That one, I've been to many times. I'd never been to the OP store.


One thing I'll say, downtown Overland Park is pretty. I didn't expect it. Go out there at lunch time on a weekday and you will see a wide variety of people with one thing in common: disposable income. Luckily, that day, I was one of 'em. I found the whole place rather pleasant in spite of myself.

Since the 39th and State Line area is so widely considered to be so hip, I figured that location would top the OP store. Wrong! In some ways this one seems like the "HQ," though I have no clue how all that works. They do repair work on turntables and accessories at this location, apparently upstairs.

A long, loft-style room holds many treasures. I was asked to leave my man-purse at the counter, which annoyed me. I wonder, if I had been a girl, I would have been asked to leave my purse. It's not big enough to smuggle out an LP in. But whatever. Rules is rules.

I bypassed a tempting copy of Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal in favor of hitting the soundtracks section and was well rewarded. I found the soundtracks for the original Clash of the Titans, Mark Knopfler's beautiful score for The Princess Bride, and - still sealed in the original packaging - the one for Quest for Fire. This one's great, because there is no dialogue in that movie, so the soundtrack has a strong narrative quality - great for background music when I was writing the other night.

This location is actually closer to my office than the 39th street one, so it may see a little more action from me in the future. I didn't even stop at the rock or jazz sections, and stopped looking in soundtracks when I ran out of spending money. So I will definitely explore it more in the future. 

One thing I can say about both Vinyl Renaissance locations: they don't sell crap. I've never picked up a record from them that had so much as a skip on it. Their prices are reasonable (many stores automatically mark up collector's items to inflate their perceived value). They also have a deal where - if you save your receipts - 20 percent of everything you purchase goes to new equipment or accessories. So if I spend $100, I've got $20 toward a new turntable. That's a good deal.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... From a "Sean" McAnally, who visited Overland Park (ultimately going to Nicolette Larson's family home and eating at great bagel shop on Stateline? Road), has some of his old record collection left... Neat.

    Oh, I was named after Sean Connery, because my parents were going to name me Bob but the Irish nurse wanted otherwise.

    ReplyDelete