Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pharaoh Publishing USA

I have started up a small publishing company with one simple goal: to make books. We don't really market, beyond word-of-mouth, and we don't intend to set the world on fire. To me, there's nothing better than a "real book," and the print-on-demand industry makes such projects easy and accessible. It didn't take much to become a legally established small publisher. The whole process was smooth as butter.

Now I know some people don't care for print-on-demand or see it as less legitimate than other forms of publishing. But at some point you have to say "I don't care" and do what you want to do anyway.

Our first book, Tales From Homer, is available right here. It was written by my dad, Conley McAnally, in 1971 or so, at his Grandpa Weedmark's desk. I sat at that same desk more than 40 years later to edit and design it. My dad's got newer stuff in the works, but I grew up with some of those stories and wanted to do that one first.

Next up will be a collection of speculative fiction from Colin L. Campbell, better known 'round these parts as Goonie. I've always been a big believer in his work and I'm glad we're publishing his first print collection, because with a little pushing, he could probably find a much larger publisher.

Tales From Homer has already sold well enough that I made back my small investment in just a few days. But I'm not in this for the money: it's purely a labor of love, and I'll continue to do it as long as I can find good material to publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment