Friday, October 7, 2011

Motion Comics

At the urging of my friend Colin, I finally watched this motion comic. It's a six-episode adaptation of the first part of nerd-god Joss Whedon's take on the X-Men (he wrote 24 issues of the comic, I think, and the first storyline, "Gifted" is adapted here).

I used to read the X-Men back in the 1980s and this reminds me very much of those days (Whedon probably used to read them back then, too). The writing is as good as any storyline on any current television show, and while it is full of Whedonisms ("Now I've got cloud hair," for example) it's very much a traditional X-Men tale.

His take on the super team, specifically all the conflict between the main characters, gives me high hopes for the Avengers movie he's directing.

Art-wise, it only took me about three minutes to get used to motion comics. It's not quite full-bore animation, but it's not just a flat comics panel, either. I also saw part of the Spider Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D.) episode and thought the art was MUCH better (I think it's best for them not to bother to try to animate the mouths...watch one of the X-Men episodes then watch a Spider Woman episode and tell me which looks better).

One thing I know - I'll definitely look to pick up Whedon's whole run of this book.

1 comment:

  1. The first real Avengers trailer came out the other day, if you haven't seen it. It looks pretty obvious that Cap and Tony are not gonna get along too well.

    ReplyDelete