Thursday, July 21, 2011

Keep on Truckin'

I've been playing two older video games lately, both involving trucks.

One is Big Mutha Truckers 2, which is a British game that lampoons America. You drive around in a big rig, making deliveries across Hick State County to raise money to bribe jurors so your momma can get out of prison. Along the way you have to tangle with bikers, UFOs and the po-lice. There is something about this game that is very addictive and satisfying. I can't tell you what that is, though. I guess it's because it combines racing and trading. I have been playing this on the PS2 but there is also a PC version, which I have not tried yet. The game does have other legitimate flaws, and a quick Google search seems to indicate that it was, in general, badly reviewed, but I have come across nothing that has stopped me from enjoying it. For the record, I have never played Big Mutha Truckers 1.

The next is Hard Truck Apocalypse. I've only just started this one but it's very satisfying. It's a Russian game and the translation to English is wonky sometimes (my character's father is missing and/or dead, and one NPC said, "We are condole for you!"). In a post-apocalyptic Europe, where everyone wears Kabuki-style masks to keep out the poison atmosphere (and, no doubt, to make the animation easier), you must drive your armored truck around looking for your dad, fighting nomads and scavengers, and visiting various settlements taking on missions and raising money through looting and trade. This game reminds me very much of Freelancer. It has a similar interface, controls, and themes. The graphics, for an older game, are pretty good. But again, this one seems to have been badly reviewed in general. But I don't care. I like it.

2 comments:

  1. Big Mutha Truckers 2 is, in fact, full of such plays on words. The subtitle of the game is actually "Truck Me Harder."

    ReplyDelete