Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Music Page Removed

I've removed the Johnny Pharaoh Band page for a variety of excellent reasons. If anyone actually wants to hear that stuff, don't hesitate to email me at seann.mcanally@gmail.com and I will send you a big fat CD of all of my sonic sketchbook stuff. I may put up another blog at some point that focuses on music. For now, this site will just be about my ramblings.

But if anyone is curious about what I'm doing musically, it's this: I came to the conclusion a while back that doing the live rock'n'roll thing just wasn't for me anymore. Every time I try to say why, I end up borderline offending someone who still likes it, so I'll just let it stand at "not for me." That doesn't mean I'll never do it again, but I'm certainly not going to do it often. I've always felt funny about pushing my music on others, anyway. It may not be an arrogant thing to do, but it's certainly presumptuous. I feel that way about all art. I feel compelled to share, but isn't there something vaguely off-putting, if not downright offensive, about someone who has decided they're the one who should be performing and you're the one who should be listening? I've never wanted to be that guy, although that may be what it takes to be successful.

That being said, I did start another band with Ryan (of Rocket to Saturn) and Matt & Corey (of Captain Murgatroyd) called STARFINGER, and it's going well. It's also going slow, and that's OK. We're not in a rush. It's a badass lineup, if I do say so myself, and when it comes to rock'n'roll, I still enjoy the physical act of playing. It's the performances that I'm not sure I love anymore, but I'm willing to take one or two for the team. It's my understanding the band intends to focus on recording and play out only very occasionally. Plus, both of the only two bands that ever helped Ryan and I book shows are defunct now anyway, so...I say this without bitterness, it's just a statement of fact, but KC can be a tough place to find a good weekend slot when you're not friends with the right hipster. I've been on both sides of that fence.

As for my own music, I have drifted further and further from rock music over the past few years (although I did just revisit the Blues Explosion catalog, and I'll always have a place in my heart for Big Dumb Rock). These days, I listen to a lot of ambient music, old jazz, and a lot of symphonic or neo-classical stuff. I find myself wanting to record those kinds of things - non-verbal "soundtrack" stuff - but I don't have the training or musicianship for that. I am strongly considering taking piano lessons and becoming some dude like Vangelis. Or at the very least, Danzig-fucking-with-a-synthesizer-Black-Aria dude. Something like that. We'll see how it goes. Until then, I'll post something when I have something worth hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment