Thursday, June 16, 2011

A King's Bad Dreams

I came across this picture of Henry I of England having bad dreams that various people (seemingly, peasants, knights, and the Church) were trying to take over and/or kill him. For some reason this really cracked me up, I don't know why, and I felt compelled to share it. I guess even kings - or maybe especially kings - have bad dreams.

Henry I was one of the younger sons of William the Conqueror, and he made a lot of reforms and tried to win over the indigenous Anglo-Saxons (whom his father had conquered), including marrying one of the pre-Norman royal family. His son died in a shipwreck and that screwed up his plans for a smooth succession. Henry I himself died in Normandy from food poisoning (after eating a "surfeit of lampreys") and they had to sew his body up with cow hide for the long journey home. He was buried at an abbey that was later destroyed in the Protestant Reformation and now no one knows where it is.

Kings don't always come to good ends, but at least none of the bad dreams shown in this picture came true.

1 comment:

  1. I thinks it's funny that he sleeps with his crown on.

    ReplyDelete