Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Better Late Than Never

I've been watching two shows that I should have gotten to a long time ago.

First, I guess I am the only geek in the world that isn't already familiar with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I always avoided it, mostly because of my prejudice against the vampire fad, but I did myself a disservice. The show is 10 times better than I thought it would be. That's not to say it's not filled with a strong dose of dramatic teen angst, but it seems not only intentional but almost parody. The ideas and adventures are cheesy, but nothing a tabletop gamer would scoff at. So far, the characters are developing well and it's a much better, somewhat deeper, show than I thought it would be.

Of course, it does seem incredibly dated. I'm on the first season, which was 1996-97, and it's, like, so totally Nineties. It still seems weird to me that the 1990s now seem retro. Seems like just yesterday in some ways, and the nostalgia this show has sparked has not always been pleasant.

Still, it's a good show and I'm glad I started watching it.

Another good show that I've only just now started, but that was on from 1999-2007, is the Sopranos. I started watching it because I am obsessed with Boardwalk Empire, and I knew the same folks were behind both shows. I really like the Sopranos also; Tony Soprano is far more likable than the previews I'd seen suggested. The story element of him being under psychiatric care, revealing his story as he talks to his therapist, was a really neat way to do it.

I don't have a lot more to say about this show other than I'm about halfway through Season One and I keep staying up way too late because I just have to squeeze in another episode...

So here's to vampire slayers and gangsters - when done right, they make for some good TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment