Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Failure of the Human Will, Thanks to Tom Petty.

In my quest to quit smoking, I was successful for about two weeks. But the day before yesterday, I bought a pack, and it's entirely Tom Petty's fault.

I had to pay a bill by a deadline and had forgotten to mail it. So I took a late-night drive to drop it off in the night deposit box. It was a gorgeous night. I rolled the windows down. Tom Petty's Refugee came on the radio, and this triggered a fit of nostalgia for a similar night, with the same music, in 1994 or so, when I was dating a really hot volleyball player who later moved to New York (since that is what all the cool people do, apparently), and this reverie somehow resulted in me buying a pack of Pall Malls.

So, as you can see, it is Tom Petty, and not my will, that is to blame. Now, that pack is almost gone, and when it is, I'll just quit all over again.

Except, of course, for the occasional cigar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment